For more details on all news items follow this link.
The 2020 Winter Spring Programme and Newsletter are now available.
- CORONAVIRUS – ALL CRC ACTIVITIES CANCELLED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE – see NEWS
- Latest Coronavirus advice from Ramblers – see here.
- Local National Trust parklands & gardens re-open for pre-booked tickets on Wednesday June 3rd – see News
- Booking details for coach & hotel trip to Brecon, Friday 26th to Sunday 28th March 2021 now available – see News
- Information on permissive paths in and around Cambridge for your daily exercise walks – check out News
- Summer coach outing to Southwold area, Suffolk – Sunday 28th June 2020 cancelled. We plan to go in Spring 2021!
- Budget weekend Friday 2nd to Sunday 4th October 2020 at East Grinstead, Sussex Downs & Ashdown Forest. See News
- Kettlewell, Wharfedale Yorkshire – walking week Friday 7th to 14th August 2020. – see News for latest information
- A week’s walking on the Ceredigion coast path in Wales, June 2020 cancelled. We plan a deferral to June 2021. See News
- Conwy trip deferred to first Spring BH weekend May 2021. See News
- Club Lakes’ week in 2020 now cancelled! – We plan to rebook for Saturday 11th to 18th September 2021. See News
- Coach & hotel weekend in Scarborough. Friday 23rd to Sunday 25th October 2020. For booking details – see News
- The CRC annual subscription of £4.00 is due 1st November each year; no sub – no programme or newsletter! Payment by Standing Order preferred
The National Trust has announced that the parkland and gardens at local properties Ickworth, Wimpole and Anglesey Abbey will re-open on Wednesday 3rd June. However, in order to manage numbers and ensure social-distancing can be maintained, access will be by timed ticket, which must be booked in advance. Tickets can be booked from Friday 29th May online and provide access to the car parks. Tickets are free for NT members; non-members will have to pay but the charges have not yet been advertised. The grounds and toilets will be open, but at present all other buildings, including houses, mills, cafes and shops, will be closed.
In the case of Anglesey Abbey, the car park will remain freely available for anyone walking in the surrounding area. Tickets for entry to the grounds will be available at 30 minute intervals, starting at 9.30. The grounds will close at 16.30. Tickets must be booked by 15.00 the day before any planned visit. Information relating to Ickworth and Wimpole should be available on their respective websites very soon.
The coach and hotel trip to Brecon in South Wales, originally planned for March 2020, has been moved to the weekend Friday 26th to Sunday 28th March 2021. The Club has booked the Castle Hotel and there are plenty of places available in single, double and twin en-suite rooms. Brecon is a lovely town in the middle of the National Park, with its own cathedral, museum, river and canal.
We plan to arrive in time for a walk on the Friday afternoon or an exploration of the town. As usual we will offer 3 different walks on Saturday and Sunday – so please let Barry know if you are willing to lead a walk. The total cost per person for 2 nights dinner, B&B, packed lunches, coach travel and all gratuities is £265 for a single room and £220 for a double/shared twin room. To reserve a place, please either send a deposit of £75 per person to Barry (see the Programme for address), with cheques payable to Cambridge Rambling Club, or arrange a bank transfer, referenced ‘Brecon’. Details of the Club’s bank account are available from our Treasurer Jim. Please let Barry have your details for further communications, including address, email and telephone – and let him know of any dietary requirements. Car parking arrangements will be given later.
Due to the ongoing uncertainty regarding any movement out of the Coronavirus lockdown, the decision has been taken to cancel this September’s planned Club trip to the Lake District. This has been a difficult decision to take, but it is clear that there will be no quick relaxation to social distancing rules. We hope that people who have booked accommodation will be able to defer their booking to next year; we plan to arrange a week’s trip to Keswick over the week Saturday 11th to Saturday 18th September 2021. Of course, if Government advice allows holiday travel to go ahead this summer/autumn there is nothing to stop people arranging their own walks. However, there won’t be an organised CRC trip this year.