The 2024 Winter Newsletter is here. Please note that we are no longer issuing printed Programmes – see the Newsletter
For more details on all news items follow this link.
- Single room available on the Club’s Coach & Hotel trip to Llangollen, north Wales, Friday 5th to Sunday 7th April 2024 (2 nights). See News for booking details
- Very sad news – Janet Moreton. See News for details if you wish to donate to a charity in Janet’s memory
- Help required to make the Club’s trip to Keswick, 14th to 21st September 2024, a success! See News
- London walks to continue! Come and explore Belsize Park and Hampstead with Marcus on Saturday 27th April 2024. For details, see News
- Spam emails being received by Club members – Watch out! See News
- Please contribute ideas for spending the Club’s ‘Walking Partnership’ funds – see News
- Booking now open for the Club’s Coach & Hotel weekend trip to Harrogate, Yorkshire, Friday 18th to Sunday 20th October 2024 (2 nights) and filling fast. See News
- Booking now open for long autumn weekend trip to Bishops Castle, Shropshire, 1st to 4th November 2024 (3 nights). See News
- CRC trip to walk the Anglesey Coast Path, 31st May to 7th June 2024 – see News for any late availability; Club booked accommodation is full.
- Summer Coach Outing to Aldeburgh now open for booking; Sunday June 23rd, with A, B and C walks. See News
- More 2024 Club holiday details – a week in Skipton, Yorkshire Dales, Friday 12th to 19th July 2024 – see News for late availability.
- ‘Budget’ trip to Wells-next-the-Sea, Friday 8th to Monday 11th March 2024 (3 nights) – see News. Club accommodation now full – but waiting list available
- Items in the ‘For Sale’ section of the ‘Members’ part of the website. This is a useful way of finding a good home for quality walking gear that is no longer needed.
- Consultation on several Cambridge ‘greenway’ commuter cycling routes – please get involved – see News
- New car parking arrangements at Kirtling Village Hall – see News
- Parking at Wimpole Hall for CRC groups – concession for non-NT members agreed. See News
- ‘Don’t Lose Your Way’ – how you can help with the Ramblers’ Campaign to discover ‘lost’ paths – see News
- The CRC annual subscription of £4.00 is due 1st November each year; no sub – no programme or newsletter! Payment by Standing Order preferred
It is very sad to report that Janet Moreton has died. Janet, together with her husband Roger, looked after South Cambridgeshire’s rights of way for over 30 years as our local Ramblers’ Footpaths Secretary, resigning from this critical post only recently. Janet was a Life Member of the CRC, in recognition of the very important role she and Roger played in keeping our path network open and safeguarded against damaging changes. Janet was very recently joining Ramblers walks on a regular basis.
If you wish to make a donation to a charity in Janet’s memory, the suggested charities are The Woodland Trust and Wesley Methodist Church, Cambridge. An online ‘In-Memory’ page has been set up where donations can be made and words left. This is on the Peasgood and Skeates website, donate-in-memory. Please enter Janet’s surname ‘Moreton’.
Marcus is leading a ‘London walk’ on Saturday April 27th and these are the details. The route is just under 10 miles, taking around 6.5 hours with stops and is a ‘sightseeing’ day, taken at a leisurely pace with lots of pauses to see places of interest.
Please make your own way to the start/finish, which is Belsize Park Underground Station. Belsize Park Station is on the Northern Line and is 5 stations north of Kings Cross. Please be there ready to start walking at 11.00am. Being a Saturday, there are no time restrictions on the cheapest train tickets.
We shall walk some of the best parts of the Belsize Park area, then walk on to Hampstead village, several areas of the Heath and beautiful Kenwood House. There will be at least three stops for refreshments etc during the day. Our sightseeing tour will provide the opportunity to enjoy individual and, at times, outlandish architecture, history and the natural beauty of the area, some of which is stunning. The area lives up to its reputation as the home to artists and other characters. Weather permitting, from our high point we will have some of the best views in London before we return to Belsize Park.
Please bring some food and drink as one of our stops will be for viewing only, with no cafe. We also suggest you make use of the loos at Kings Cross Station as it will be about 1.5 hours into our walk before we have our first refreshment and facilities stop!
Please text or WhatsApp Marcus in advance on 07754 100266. Come along and enjoy the day!
The Club is returning to Keswick as a very popular base for its annual Lake District trip, running from Saturday 14th to 21st September 2024. Our new organiser, Susanna, is keen to put a varied programme of walks together to suit all tastes and abilities – but for that she needs the help of Club members. We would like to offer 2 or 3 walks each day, providing a choice by area and effort! It would be great if those of you who have already booked accommodation would have a think about what walk(s) you might be able to lead and let Susanna know. She can then put a draft programme together.
Could anyone who has already booked to come on the trip let Susanna know? And if you have a spare room looking for an occupant that information would be very useful – as would contact from anyone seeking a place to stay. Please let Susanna know if you are booked from Friday 13th or Saturday 14th.
Susanna can be contacted on the email address: email@example.com.