2021 Winter/Spring Newsletter is here
For more details on all news items follow this link.
- All CRC organised walks ‘on hold’ from 26th December due to ‘lockdown’
- Latest advice from Ramblers – see here.
- A warming drink whilst you exercise outdoors – see News
- Wednesday B (morning) Group Programme Secretary vacancy – see News
- Claiming new public footpaths in Histon – can you help? See News
- Budget trip to Tunbridge Wells – now postponed to Friday 29th to Sunday 31st October 2021 – see News
- Club coach & Hotel trip to Scarborough now running 15-17 October 2021. See News
- Coach & hotel trip to Brecon, Friday 26th to Sunday 28th March 2021 cancelled. It is hoped to rebook in spring 2022.
- Information on permissive paths in and around Cambridge – check out News
- A week’s walking on the Ceredigion coast path in Wales, 11th – 18th June 2021
- Conwy Bank Holiday weekend trip – Friday 30th April to Monday 3rd May 2021 to be postponed to 2022. See News
- Club Lakes’ week confirmed for Saturday 11th to 18th September 2021, once again based in Keswick. See News
- The CRC annual subscription of £4.00 is due 1st November each year; no sub – no programme or newsletter! Payment by Standing Order preferred
The Club’s trip to Royal Tunbridge Wells on the Kent/Sussex border over the weekend Friday 12th to Sunday 14th March 2021 (2 nights) has been cancelled – but has been rearranged for the autumn weekend Friday 29th to Sunday 31st October 2021. There is a new Premier Inn close to the centre of the town offering good rates of you book now! Please book yourself in and let Jill know. Jill knows the area well and will be leading A walks.
As it is extremely unlikely that the Club can run the planned trip to Conwy in north Wales over the first May Bank Holiday weekend in 2021 the plan is to postpone to 2922. Even if the current timetable for relaxing Covid restrictions goes ahead as planned, it is clear that self-catering holiday properties can only be occupied by single households up until the middle of May. Even if the rules in Wales are less restrictive – we will have to follow the rules which cover our ‘home’ country, England.
The plan now is to try and postpone the entire trip yet again, this time to the end of April/start of May 2022.
Whilst cafes and pubs are closed there are still several opportunities to pick up a warming hot drink on your socially-distanced outdoor walk; some take-aways can even offer a tasty snack. We can’t vouch for the quality or even the opening days and hours of the following, but they will provide some variety on a walk.
- the cafe by the paddling pool on Lammas Land in Cambridge
- Trumpington Meadows Community Food Van – on the Square, near Sainsburys
- the take-away Kerb Kollective on Riverside, next to the Cambridge Museum of Technology
- a take-away outside Madingley Hall
- take away hot drinks from the Plough pub in Coton
- Days Bakery on Great Shelford High Street – open Monday to Saturday
- the Java Coffee Club at the Cambridge Distillery in Grantchester – take-away hot drinks and cake, Tuesday to Sunday
- Cambridge Buffet Company at 10 High Street, Fulbourn, opposite the Co-op – open 7 days a week
- a deli on Market Square Eddington sells take-away hot drinks
- a pop-up trailer at Wandlebury Country Park selling snacks and drinks at weekends
- the Tea-Pod in the car park of the Black Bull in Balsham High Street – open on Sunday mornings from 8.30 to 11.30
- Monday to Saturday – the cafe in the centre of Balsham, near the post-office
- Beanissimo, near the community gardens on Hobson Avenue, near Hobson Park
- Take away snacks and drinks are available at the National Trust’s Anglesey Abbey, with service now available from the Redwoods Restaurant
- The cafe at Milton Country Park is open for take away food and drink
- Cambridge University’s cafe on the west Cambridge site, near the Cavendish Laboratory is open for take aways
In addition there are several cafes open in Cambridge itself for take-away business.
Please note that you will need to wear a face covering when purchasing drinks etc and queues will be enforcing 2m minimum distancing. Any updates or additions – please let Jill know