2021 Winter/Spring Newsletter is here
For more details on all news items follow this link.
- Covid-secure CRC walks can resume in early April – see News for details
- Latest advice from Ramblers – see here.
- A warming drink whilst you exercise outdoors – see News
- Budget trip to Tunbridge Wells – now postponed to Friday 29th to Sunday 31st October 2021 – see News
- Club coach & Hotel trip to Scarborough now running 15-17 October 2021. See News
- Coach & hotel trip to Brecon, Friday 26th to Sunday 28th March 2021 cancelled. It is hoped to rebook in spring 2022.
- Information on permissive paths in and around Cambridge – check out News
- A week’s walking on the Ceredigion coast path in Wales, 11th – 18th June 2021
- Conwy Bank Holiday weekend trip – Friday 30th April to Monday 3rd May 2021 to be postponed to Friday 29th April to Monday May 2nd 2022. See News
- Club Lakes’ week confirmed for Saturday 11th to 18th September 2021, once again based in Keswick. See News
- The CRC annual subscription of £4.00 is due 1st November each year; no sub – no programme or newsletter! Payment by Standing Order preferred
The Government’s ‘roadmap’ for moving out of the winter Covid-19 lockdown allows socially-distanced groups of up to 6 people to meet outdoors from Monday March 29th. On March 23rd the Government published updated advice for resuming ‘organised outdoor sports activities’ after March 29th, specifically including reference to walking clubs. The Club can resume a programme of organised walks as long as we adopt the specific Covid-secure guidelines developed by the Ramblers – as the national body for walking.
The guidance for organising official CRC walks requires us to take the following steps:
- Everyone taking part in a walk should familiarise themselves with the Club’s advice on ‘Taking part in a Covid-secure walk’, as posted on the Members’ section of the website
- It is necessary to book in advance with the leader; the leader must retain contact details of everyone taking part for NHS ‘Test & Trace’ purposes
- The leader is required to prepare a Covid-secure ‘risk assessment’ in advance using the pro forma published on the CRC website. A copy must be retained for one year following the walk
- Social-distancing must be observed before, during and after the walk
- Please try and avoid particularly busy areas
Leaders can set the maximum number of people they are willing to lead and may like to sound out people to help as mid and/or back markers. However, it is not necessary to split into sub-groups of six.
For the foreseeable future the Club will not be publishing a 4-month printed Programme, but will be posting walk details on the website. Some official group walks are likely to resume after Easter – keep checking the website.
We are aware that not all groups wish to organise ‘official’ CRC walks at this stage. We hope that people will feel able to take advantage of the ‘rule of 6’ which applies to informal walks from March 29th. Longer days and better weather provide an excellent opportunity to get out walking – a good time to ‘recce’ new and old routes for the Summer.
The Club’s trip to Royal Tunbridge Wells on the Kent/Sussex border over the weekend Friday 12th to Sunday 14th March 2021 (2 nights) has been cancelled – but has been rearranged for the autumn weekend Friday 29th to Sunday 31st October 2021. There is a new Premier Inn close to the centre of the town offering good rates of you book now! Please book yourself in and let Jill know. Jill knows the area well and will be leading A walks.
As it is extremely unlikely that the Club can run the planned trip to Conwy in north Wales over the first May Bank Holiday weekend in 2021 the plan is to postpone to 2922. Even if the current timetable for relaxing Covid restrictions goes ahead as planned, it is clear that self-catering holiday properties can only be occupied by single households up until the middle of May. Even if the rules in Wales are less restrictive – we will have to follow the rules which cover our ‘home’ country, England.
The plan now is to try and postpone the entire trip yet again, this time to the end of April/start of May 2022.