The 2016 Summer Programme & Newsletter are now available.
For other news items follow this link.
- Summer outing 2016 organiser confirmed – thanks Caroline! We have a place (Suffolk coast, Aldeburgh area) and date (Sunday 26th June); see News section for booking details. Only back seats on the coach remain available.
- Bookings are now open for Spring 2017 coach/hotel trip to Pickering, Yorkshire (31st March to 2nd April). See News section.
- The Autumn 2016 coach/hotel trip to Abingworth (14th – 16th October) is fully booked – but there is a reserve list for cancellations. See News section
- Brancaster Staithe hostel trip confirmed for 3rd to 5th February 2017 – see News
- Places are still available on the spring hostel trip to Snowdonia, north Wales. Exclusive use of Lledr House Hostel, from Thursday 5th to Monday 9th May 2016, (4 nights). See News section
- The CRC annual subscription of £4.00 is due 1st November each year; no sub – no programme or newsletter! Please check your Standing Order
- Two new ‘budget’ trips announced for autumn 2016 – Maidenhead Travelodge (end Sept/early October) and sole use of Hathersage YH (early Nov); see News below
- Lakes trip 2016 – 9th – 16th September. See ‘News’
- Pitlochry, Perthshire – budget trip Monday August 15th to 22nd 2016 – see News
- North Cornwall coast path week: Friday 10th to Friday 17th June 2016. See ‘News’
The date for the 2016 coach outing is Sunday 26th June – and we have firmed up our visit to the Suffolk coast close to Aldeburgh. Thanks very much to Caroline for stepping into the breach and taking over the organiser’s role. We can confirm there will be 3 walks – A, B and C, with a detailed handout available on the coach. The coach will leave from Milton Park & Ride at 8.30 am (TBC) and return there by about 7.30 pm. Most places have been taken – so only back seats on the coach remain available! Please send Caroline a cheque for £15 payable to Cambridge Rambling Club to reserve your place. Don’t forget to include your address, phone number(s) and e mail address if you have one.
Caroline’s address is 5 High Street, Milton, Cambridge CB24 6AJ.
The Club has booked the Best Western Forest and Vale hotel in Pickering, Yorkshire for our Spring Hotel weekend 2017. There are 43 places in a mix of single, double and twin en-suite rooms. See http://www.bw-forestandvalehotel.co.uk/. Due to the size of the Forest and Vale hotel, additional rooms have been booked in the nearby Crossways Hotel. http://www.thecrosswayshotel.com/. All meals will be taken with the main group at the Forest and Vale hotel. The total cost for 2 nights, dinner, B&B, packed lunches on Saturday and Sunday, coach travel and gratuities is likely to be £225 per head for a shared room and £240 for a single room. To reserve your place, please send a non-refundable deposit of £75 per person to Alex Andrews (address in current Programme). Deposits are required by 14 August 2016. Cheques payable to Cambridge Rambling Club, with the balance due by 27 January 2017. Car parking details will be given later. Please include your address, email and telephone details with your deposit and any dietary requirements. As usual we hope to offer 3 different walks each day, including Friday afternoon – please let Alex know if you would be willing to lead a walk. Leaders are particularly needed for B and C walks.
Pickering is a small town on the edge of the North York Moors with excellent walking and the added attraction of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. See http://welcometopickering.co.uk/
All places for this weekend to HF Abingworth in Sussex have now been reserved, however, if you wish to go on the waiting list in case of last-minute cancellations, contact Meg. The final balance (£165 for single, £150 for shared) is payable to Cambridge Rambling Club, to be paid by 29th July 2016 and sent to Meg. Please include your emergency contact details, also any dietary requirements. The coach will be leaving Cambridge on the Friday morning. Car parking details will be provided later. Please include a fee of £10 with your final balance if car parking is required – although we encourage car sharing as spaces may be limited.
We have sole occupancy of HF Holidays’ Abingworth Hall, a charming four-star property set in the peaceful Sussex countryside, with fantastic views of the South Downs National Park. Walking opportunities on and around the South Downs include the iconic Seven Sisters close to Eastbourne, as well as Devil’s Dyke and Ditchling Beacon. We can also include visits to the grand estates of Arundel and Petworth House.
We enjoyed another great weekend introduction to Spring – sampling the contrasting scenery in the Dark and White Peak areas – with many thanks to Alex for organising it.
To see a selection of photos from our two longer walks:
Click here for Paul J’s images
Click here for David P’s images