The 2016 Summer Programme & Newsletter are now available.
For other news items follow this link.
- Summer outing 2016 organiser confirmed – thanks Caroline! We have a place (Suffolk coast, Aldeburgh area) and date (Sunday 26th June); see News section for booking details. Only back seats on the coach remain available.
- Bookings are now open for Spring 2017 coach/hotel trip to Pickering, Yorkshire (31st March to 2nd April). See News section.
- The Autumn 2016 coach/hotel trip to Abingworth (14th – 16th October) is fully booked – but there is a reserve list for cancellations. See News section
- Update on a Travelodge weekend break in the New Forest, 10th to 12th March 2017 – see News
- Bookings are now open for a 4-night hostel trip to the Brecon Beacons, Friday 28th April to Tuesday 2nd May (BH weekend) 2017; half board included. See News
- House accommodation now full on the North Cornwall coast path week: Friday 10th to Friday 17th June 2016. See ‘News’
- Brancaster Staithe hostel trip confirmed for 3rd to 5th February 2017 – see News
- The CRC annual subscription of £4.00 is due 1st November each year; no sub – no programme or newsletter! Please check your Standing Order
- Two new ‘budget’ trips now booking for autumn 2016 – Maidenhead Travelodge (end Sept/early October) and sole use of Hathersage YH (early Nov); see News below
- Lakes trip 2016 – 9th – 16th September. See ‘News’
- Pitlochry, Perthshire – budget trip Monday August 15th to 22nd 2016 – see News
All 9 rooms booked by the Club at the Stoney Cross Travelodge, near Lyndhurst in the centre of the New Forest for the weekend Friday 10th to Sunday 12th March 2017, (2 nights) have been snapped up in record time! There is one female share place available in a twin room – please contact Jill if you are interested. So please can anyone else wanting to come book directly with Travelodge? The cost of a room at the ‘Saver’ (non-refundable) rate may be slightly higher than the £71 paid for the first tranche. The Travelodge doesn’t have a restaurant, but a ‘breakfast box’ can be purchased and there are eateries nearby for evening meals. There is no charge for the on-site car parking. The New Forest offers lots of opportunities for great walking.
The Club has booked sole occupancy of Danywenallt Youth Hostel, near Talybont-on-Usk in the Brecon Beacons of South Wales, for 4 nights Friday April 28th to Tuesday May 2nd – including the first May Bank Holiday. The booking includes half board (breakfast and evening meal) at this secluded hostel – at very competitive rates. With small rooms on offer, the accommodation consists of 2 rooms with 3 beds and 6 rooms with 2 beds, almost all en-suite. The total cost is £130 per person for the entire stay. Please send Jill a deposit of £30 to reserve a place. The balance is payable by the end of February 2017.
Nearby walking opportunities include the Pen Y Fan range, Ystradfellte waterfall country, the Beacons Way, the River Usk and Usk Valley Way as well as canal-side paths.
CRC members will be very sad to hear that Bill Willows has died after a short illness. Bill was a regular Wednesday walker for a long time and a good friend to many. Bill’s funeral is a private family occasion. If anyone wishes to contact Sheila, please contact Walks’ Secretaries.
All places in our shared accommodation have been taken – but you may be able to book into a B&B nearby and join us on our private coach which we will be using most days to help us walk linear stretches of the north Cornish coast path between Tintagel and St Ives. Our house, ‘Gannel View’, is on the Pentire headland to the west of Newquay town, about a mile from the bus station. See www.gannelview.co.uk for details. Private coach costs are around £45 for the week. Travel to Newquay can be by train or air; currently there are flights from Stansted and Gatwick daily. Please contact Jill if you would like to go on a reserve waiting list for the house.