The 2017 Winter Programme & Newsletter are now available.
For more details on all news items follow this link.
- Booking now open for Club coach/hotel trip to the Forest of Dean & Wye Valley, 13th to 15th October 2017 – see News
- Lakes week 2017 – Saturday 9th to 16th September, based in Windermere. See News section
- Two new budget weekend trips announced: Friday 29th September to Sunday 1st October at Glossop Travelodge in the Peak District and Friday 10th to Sunday 12th November at Truleigh Hill YH, South Downs (both 2 nights). See News
- A week’s walking from Middleham in Wensleydale, Yorkshire confirmed for August 2017 – see News; still shared rooms in a self-catering house available
- The Spring 2017 coach/hotel trip to Pickering, Yorkshire (31st March to 2nd April) is now full – please see News section for details for paying the balance due and a reserve list for cancellations.
- Spring 2017 South West Coast Path walk – Friday 2nd to Friday 9th June, based Lynton, Devon is now full – but there are B&Bs close by. See News section
- Update on a Travelodge weekend break in the New Forest, 10th to 12th March 2017 – see News; please book your own accommodation here
- The 4-night hostel trip to the Brecon Beacons, Friday 28th April to Tuesday 2nd May (BH weekend) 2017 is now full; please contact Jill for the waiting list
- Brancaster Staithe hostel trip 3rd to 5th February 2017 – see News; only limited places still available
- The CRC annual subscription of £4.00 is due 1st November each year; no sub – no programme or newsletter! Please pay by Standing Order
Many thanks to everyone who came to the Club’s AGM on Saturday 19th November; your support is very much appreciated by the Committee. Following reports on the past year and an overview of future events, the meeting considered donations. Our resources are limited, but we thought it very worthwhile to donate £100 to flood-restoration work in the Lake District National Park; there are still many areas requiring essential work after the devastating floods last winter.
Thanks were given to our hard-working officers and Programme secretaries, as well as all those who play an essential part in leading walks, both locally and on trips away from Cambridgeshire. Meg is retiring as the autumn coach/hotel trip organiser; there will be no such trip in 2018 unless someone takes over! Or perhaps two friends might offer as a team?
Thanks were also given to the three retiring ‘ordinary’ Committee members – Norman, Paul and Christine. Each had served a 3-year term. Rita and Susanne were elected to the Committee, leaving one vacancy; if you are interested in joining, please contact Jenny.
Bookings are now open for the Club’s trip to the Royal Forest of Dean, a fabulous place to visit in the Autumn. We will be staying at the historic Speech House Hotel near Coleford, Gloucestershire, .(www.thespeechhouse.co.uk). set in the heart of the forest. Walking opportunities include Symonds Yat Rock with spectacular views across the River Wye and the forest beyond. We plan to organise 2 walks on Friday afternoon and 3 walks for all abilities on Saturday and Sunday. Offers of leaders to Meg please – see Programme card for contact details.
We have booked 44 places in a mix of single, double and twin en-suite rooms. The total cost for 2 nights dinner, B&B, packed lunches, coach travel and gratuities will be £225 per head for a shared room and £240 for a single room. To reserve a place, please send a non-refundable deposit of £75 per person to Meg (see Programme for address), with cheques payable to Cambridge Rambling Club, (final payment will be due by 31st July 2017) Please include your address, email and telephone details, emergency contact and any dietary requirements.
The 12 rooms booked by the Club at the Glossop Travelodge, on the west of the Dark Peak area of the National Park, for the two nights Friday September 29th and Saturday September 30th, have been snapped up! There is just one sharing place available for a female, cost £34 for the weekend. Please contact Jill if you are interested in booking. Anyone else interested in coming can either go on a waiting list in case of a cancellation or should book their own accommodation.
The Travelodge is centrally located in what looks like a converted mill building, close to restaurants within walking distance. There is no restaurant on site, so please provide your own breakfast – or you can buy a ‘breakfast box’ from reception. There is free overnight parking nearby from 16.00 – although we will have to move cars elsewhere during the day. There is some fabulous walking close by – both around Kinder and near Buxton.
We have booked sole occupancy of the National Trust’s comfortable Brancaster Staithe Activity Centre on the north Norfolk coast for the first weekend in February 2017 (2 nights accommodation). The Centre has recently been refurbished; most bedrooms are ensuite. Facilities include a large self-catering kitchen, dining areas and two lounges. There is a pub within 500 yards. Brancaster is close to the RSPB Reserve at Titchwell so this trip may appeal to birdwatchers as well as walkers.
There are a few places still available in top bunks – please contact Jill if you are interested in joining the trip. The cost is £36 per head for the weekend.
The Club has booked a large, self-catering house in Middleham, Wensleydale for the week Friday 11th to Friday 18th August 2017. School House – also called Yorkshire Dales House – is in the middle of this well-serviced village near Leyburn, with fantastic walking opportunities close by. There are 7 to 8 bedrooms (one is a mezzanine floor) with accommodation for 15 or 16. All singles, doubles and twins are now full. If you would like to reserve a place in a shared room please let Jill have a deposit of £40 per head. The full charge is £150 per person for the week, with the balance payable by early June.We will be making use of cars during the week as the public transport services are not good; the nearest train station for travel to Middleham is Northallerton.