For other news items follow this link.
- Bookings are open for Autumn 2016 coach/hotel trip to Abingworth (14th – 16th October). See News section
- The 2016 Winter Programme and Newsletter can be found by clicking thelink.
- CRC annual subscriptions of £4.00 are now due; no sub – no programme or newsletter!
- Summer outing 2016 organiser needed! We have a place (Suffolk coast, Aldeburgh area) and date (Sunday 26th June) – but now need an organiser. Please contact Jenny if you can help.
- Two new ‘budget’ trips announced for autumn 2016 – Maidenhead Travelodge (end Sept/early October) and sole use of Hathersage YH (early Nov); see News below
- Lakes trip 2016 – 9th – 16th September. See ‘News’
- All places taken on Spring 2016 Club coach weekend to Dovedale – Friday 18th to Sunday 20th March. See News section for waiting list
- Spring hostel trip to Snowdonia, north Wales. Exclusive use of Lledr House Hostel, from Thursday 5th to Monday 9th May 2016, (4 nights). See News section
- Pitlochry, Perthshire – budget trip Monday August 15th to 22nd 2016 – see News
- Update on discount shopping for CRC members – see News
- North Cornwall coast path week: Friday 10th to Friday 17th June 2016. See ‘News’
- ‘Budget’ weekend at Arundel Fontwell Park Travelodge – Friday 8th to Sunday 10th April – see News section
Bookings are now open for the Club’s coach/hotel trip to HF Abingworth in Sussex on Friday 14th to Sunday 16th October.
There are 44 places in a mix of single, double and twin en-suite rooms. The total cost for 2 nights dinner, B&B, packed lunches, coach travel and gratuities will be £225 per head for a shared room and £240 for a single room. We hope to offer A, B and C walks each day, including a walk on the Friday. Please let Meg know if you are willing to lead. To reserve your place, please send Meg (address on current programme card) a non-refundable deposit of £75 per person payable to Cambridge Rambling Club, the final balance to be paid by 29th July 2016. Please include your home address, email, telephone no. and emergency contact details. The coach will leave Cambridge on the Friday morning; car parking details will be provided later.
We have sole occupancy of HF Holidays’ Abingworth Hall, a charming four-star property set in the peaceful Sussex countryside, with fantastic views of the South Downs National Park. Walking opportunities on and around the South Downs include the iconic Seven Sisters close to Eastbourne, as well as Devil’s Dyke and Ditchling Beacon. We can also include visits to the grand estates of Arundel and Petworth House.
John Dunn, who was a Wednesday ‘A’ walker, died in December and a private family funeral was held at the Woodlands Cemetery in Barton before Christmas. His friends will be very welcome at a Requiem Mass which will be held at St Laurence’s RC church at 12.30pm on Friday 5th February. The church is on Milton Road, between the library and the Elizabeth Way roundabout on the north west side. There is a large car park and it is also possible to park in Ascham Road, Hurst Park Avenue and Highworth Avenue.
Just a reminder that the annual 2015/16 CRC subscription was due on 1st November. If you haven’t paid you won’t receive the winter 2016 Programme and Newsletter. So – to make sure you are kept in touch – PLEASE switch to a Standing Order for your annual sub. It remains at £4.00.
After 10 years sterling service Simon Watkins has retired from the critical post of Club Treasurer; he was thanked for his commitment with the granting of Honorary Life Membership. Our new Treasurer is Jim Rickard, a regular Wednesday ‘A’ walker. Rita completed her three years service on the Club’s Committee and has been replaced by Anne Davis, a Sunday ‘A’ walker. Rita is continuing in her role as Club Auditor. It should be noted that no-one has come forward to organise the regular Coach Summer Outing to replace Angela; please do consider taking on this role – or sharing it with others. The trip in late June or early July has proved to be very popular in recent years. In 2016 we have selected Sunday June 26th, walking in the Snape and Aldeburgh area, on and close to the Suffolk coast. If you are likely to come along, please help with the organisation!
After the formal CRC business, we had a presentation from staff and a regular leader for Ramblers Holidays; it is useful to know that the company can organise aspects of any group trip abroad which we might like to arrange, such as flights or hotels.