For other news items follow this link.
- Summer outing 2016 organiser needed! We have a date (Sunday 26th June) – but now need an organiser. Please contact Jenny if you can help. No organiser – no trip.
- Two new ‘budget’ trips announced for autumn 2016 – Maidenhead Travelodge (end Sept/early October) and sole use of Hathersage YH (early Nov); see News below
- Lakes trip 2016 – 9th – 16th September. See ‘News’
- CRC funds new gate to replace a stile in Coton. See ‘News’
- Hostel weekend trip with lots of places still available for booking: Sheringham, Norfolk in February 2016 – see below
- All places taken on Spring 2016 Club coach weekend to Dovedale – Friday 18th to Sunday 20th March. See News section for waiting list
- Spring hostel trip to Snowdonia, north Wales. Exclusive use of Lledr House Hostel, from Thursday 5th to Monday 9th May 2016, (4 nights). See News section
- Pitlochry, Perthshire – budget trip Monday August 15th to 22nd 2016 – see News
- Update on discount shopping for CRC members – see News
- North Cornwall coast path week: Friday 10th to Friday 17th June 2016. See ‘News’
- ‘Budget’ weekend at Arundel Fontwell Park Travelodge – Friday 8th to Sunday 10th April – see News section
All rooms reserved for the Club’s trip have now been taken; please contact Alex if you want to be on a waiting list.
The Peveril of the Peak Hotel is part of the HF group. A mix of twin, double and single en-suite rooms have been reserved for our 2016 Spring weekend.
We have booked exclusive use of the independent self-catering 31-bed Lledr House Hostel, just 4 miles from Betws-y-Coed, for 4 nights from Thursday 5th to Monday 9th May 2016. The hostel is well-placed for exploration of Moel Siabod and the nearby forests, as well as being close to the centre of Snowdonia. The hostel says it has exclusive fishing rights on the River Lledr for any anglers! There is a pub about a mile distant for evening meals. There are 2 rooms for 2 still available, as well as dormitories ranging from 4 to 9 people. The cost is £120 for the two-person rooms (each). All other beds are £100. Please send a deposit of £25 to Jill; best to phone first if you want the rooms for two!
We plan to walk most of the north Cornish coast path between Tintagel and St Ives in June 2016, (Friday 10th to Friday 17th), using a large, well-equipped self-catering 10-bedroom house on the edge of Newquay as our base. ‘Gannel View’ is on the Pentire headland to the west of the town, about a mile from the bus station. We will supplement some use of public buses and trains with privately-hired transport, as this has proved to be very flexible in the past two years. Sleeping up to 22, most of the rooms are ensuite twin shares, with a few doubles and a couple of bunks. See www.gannelview.co.uk for details of the house. The accommodation cost for someone sharing a room is £160 for the week – excellent value! Private coach or taxi costs are likely to be around £75 for the week. Travel to Newquay can be by train or air; currently there are flights from Stansted and Gatwick daily. There is just one place left – a male share. We have paid a 25% deposit on the accommodation already, so if you would like to book please contact Jill; if a place is available you will need to send her a deposit of £40. Also please contact Jill if you would like to go on a reserve waiting list. Alternatively, there are lots of B&Bs nearby.
The Club has booked Dunfallandy House, a great self-catering property very close to Pitlochry in Perthshire, for the week Monday 15th to 22nd August 2016. The ancestral home of the Fergussons, the house sleeps up to 17 in 8 bedrooms. The walking close by is superb; there are high mountains as well as lochs and marvellous rivers. If you prefer culture, then Blair Atholl Castle lies to the north and Dunkeld and Perth are easily reached to the south. Pitlochry has a theatre with weekly repertory and lots of restaurants; there are also several distilleries in the area. Pitlochry is accessible by train and local buses and taxis can be used to access walks. The cost for a shared room (twin, double and one 3-bed) is £170 for the week. All beds in the house have now been taken – so if you haven’t already booked with the Club you will need to arrange your own accommodation and Pitlochry has a Youth Hostel. Offers of cars are especially useful; you may want to combine this trip with a longer stay in Scotland. Please contact Jill if you want to go on a waiting list for a bed in the shared house.