Almond and Potato Lemon Cake – Gluten Free
It is a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall recipe.
- 175g Butter (or I used 125g Butter, 50g Olive spread)
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 200g Ground Almonds
- 250g (after peeling) cold, plain cooked potato (best is King Edwards)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large Eggs
- Finely grated zest of 3 lemons
- 75g Caster sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Grease and line 23cm cake tin
- Beat butter and sugar tog until pale and fluffy – good 5 min, best with mixer.
- Beat in beaten eggs 1 at a time with a spoon of ground almonds.
- Stir baking powder into rest of almonds, fold almonds into mixture.
- Push cold potatoes through a sieve directly into mixture, fold in.
- Add lemon zest and lightly fold in.
- Spoon into cake tin, bake in pre-heated oven at 160 -170oC (Fan), Gas 4 for c. 40 min until skewer comes out clean. Check after 25 min top is not too brown, cover with foil if browning too much.
- Leave cake in tin. Whilst cake is hot, mix sugar and lemon juice together and spoon all over top of cake before sugar has time to dissolve. Leave until cake cold then take out of tin and serve/store.